Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The squeeky wheel

  Don't be afraid to speak up if you have a question with a service provider or doctor.  Sometimes it takes calling someone and asking a question if you are puzzled.  Today we got a phone call from the place doing Chris' genetic syndrome and while I was talking to her about the study things I asked if she could make a recomendation about a good developmental pediatrician.  She did one better and contacted the head of the study who is from Columbia University.  Looks like we will be headed there in less than 6 weeks!

Don't be afraid to speak up and show your displeasure.  We went to a new developmental pediatrician and his recomendations were way off base and upon recieving our report from him I disagreed with most of it.  I called up and talkedto the medical records department today who understood what I was talking about.  It can be frustrating but it was needed. 

We've had issues with the school district and have made countless phone calls, letters, and a call to the state to have it resolved.  I may have been labeled the difficult parent for this year but in the end I got what was needed for my boys.  Don't be afraid to advocate for your child if you feel it is necessary!
Don't forget to sign up for the giveaway of the book "Don't Call me Disabled" that was posted yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment